Saturday, November 15, 2008

new microwave(s)

I suppose I should give the big-box store some slack.
See, I wanted to get Mom a new over-the-range model.
The old one is such a counter hogging, noisy, ugly dinosaur, no offence.
At the time, it was most likely state of the art, I'm sure.
The problem was, my sister (& her hubby) bought Mom the one we have,
a gift.
In 1986.
Back then Mom had this habit.
She would go and assist the new mommy.
Every time. Fly away to Canada
New daddy was thankful. Thankful and so generous.
This old microwave was going strong.
Going and going and going strong.
phooey. No justification there.
Big Sis is having a garage sale.
I have an idea.
Let's be oh-so-earth friendly and maybe sell the old one?
Big Box is having an interest/free/payment free deal.
I can make little payments for a year.
I drag Mom to pick one out from the display.
She takes one look at the $$$ and closes her eyes.
"You pick" she says.
We settle on a White Whirlpool, on sale.
We have a white range, a white fridge, a white dishwasher.
White's good.
Not a KitchenAid, mind you, though I did glance at that one in passing.
ow.
Delivered and installed, for a fee, on Monday.
"How does it look?"
"So very nice. It's up and running. I made popcorn and reheated my coffee. The installer was a AAA hockey player. He'd played in Vancouver at a training camp. Maybe the kids saw him. I liked him alot, he was so nice. Oh, BTW, we got a stainless steel one instead of white."
wha....
"It's fine. It works. Don't be upset"
too late.
When I got home I saw the 'fine' microwave.
Stainless Steel Frigidaire.
lovely. I just love battling with big-box.
Deep breathing exercises, all the way up the employee ladder.
Lots of raised eyebrows, bewildered faces, apologies.
Hockey dude is back, nice as ever.
All's well.

3 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the midst of minor tribulations, it's good that you can stay centered.

Be Good

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

What happened to the old one? And what's the hockey player's name?

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe you sold our lovely gift to you!!! just kidding :) 23 yrs is plenty long enough to keep it!!
and who was the hockey player?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home