Friday, November 28, 2008

Call Me Stuffed


SUMMON YOUR POWER, O GOD, THE POWER, O GOD, BY WHICH YOU HAVE WORKED FOR US. Psalm 68:28
"It is wise, as well as necessary, to beseech God continually to strengthen what He has worked in us. Failure to do so finds many Christians blaming themselves for those trials and afflictions of spirit that arise from unbelief. "

This year we were small and quiet. Just Ben, Bev, Mom and the Brocks. Entirely tasty nevertheless.
I started Thursday morning with making two batches of Juliana's Cranberry Marmalade Relish except I substituted Raspberry Preserves in one, for variety.
Equal parts berries/sugar (12oz), one cup chopped walnuts, one cup jam.
Bake berries and sugar in flat covered baking dish for one hour, stirring once.
Add nuts and jam. Chill. Wonderful.
I'll take the remains to the Special Meetings scheduled for Saturday (hence the two batches)
After a day of minimal banking and shopping; (K-mart was open & I love to scour their clearance shelves) I set to making Ina Garten's Sweet Potato with Candied Apples for my contribution to the afternoon meal.
For those of you who don't know the difference, sweet potatoes are yellow to begin with, and stay hardish when cooked, like reds or yukon golds. Yams are reddish to begin with, and cook soft like russets. Ina's recipe calls for sweets.
After baking the 6 sweets, scoop out into large bowl. (will be lumpy)
add
1/2 c. OJ
1/4 c melted butter
1/2 c cream
1/4 c brn sgr
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinamn
2 tsp salt.
mix and put in large baking dish.
Topping
3 tbs butter
3 tbs brn sgr
3 McIntosh apples, peeled and sliced
Saute 10-12 minutes
Spread (or arrange artfully) on top of potatoes and bake 30 minutes @ 350

My boss gave me Friday off. What a gal. I have the dubious job of providing a turkey for tomorrow. I always brine them the night before. I know it's a molecular process, I sorta know how it works, I just know it's the best. I prepared the brine this morning and it's cooling so I can plunge the bird into it by noon. I'll need to go to the meeting room by 6:00am to put it in the oven there... better than trying to wrestle a hot 22lb bird into the car afterwards.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

I'll have to try your relish. Sounds good.

It bothers me when I order yam tempura roll and get sweet potato tempura roll instead. But it doesn't bother me enough not to eat it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home