Friday, April 25, 2008

Kayla




This one was a really labor-intensive one!
Fully fitted, lined and boned, separating back zipper bodice.
Lined, multi-layered, (upper layer is an un-even handkerchief hem), skirt with brush train.
The fabric is a butterfly printed chiffon and it was lined with dupioni satin...nice.
It started out like all others; phone call, consult, estimate, measurements, construction...
The problems started when, in cutting out the garment I discovered that I had quite a lack of fabric!
oops.
Back an forth between the cutting board and the pattern packet, I sorta figured that she'd probably presumed that View C was the complete dress, not just the skirt alone.
With nobody helping her at the yardage store, she'd bought all there was on the bolt, seven yards.
Well.
I had enough for just the three layered skirt,
or the bodice and skirt with only two layers of chiffon,
or the two pieces together if I substituted one of the printed layers with a solid white chiffon layer.
She was very easy going. We commenced calling fabric stores. Ours was out, Temecula would get back to us, Redlands had just sent their 26 yards to La Cadena (wherever that is).
Would she mind the third a plain white layer?
No. It would be fine.
Would she mind only two layers?
No. That would be fine, too.
Sigh.
I went to our local store and wouldn't you know, not a stitch of plain white chiffon, and this is April!
I knuckled under and special ordered (and paid for) three yards of plain white chiffon to be shipped from Visalia (wherever that is) which had over 2000 yards to share.
I was assured it would arrive in a timely manner and I would be called the minute it arrived.
I didn't want to wait around twiddling my thumbs so I continued sewing what I could without it and hoped the fabric would come in soon.
Fitting on Monday; go ahead with only two layers.
Final fitting on Thursday, final payment, and the dress is gone.
As final fittings go, it was one of the most uneventful.
Usually there is a bit of oooh-ing and ahh-ing.
Maybe a friend to give compliments and reinforcement.
Often a delighted gasp or laugh.
Are you needing any help?
No.
Does it fit?
Yes.
Is it what you wanted?
Yes.
How are you doing?
OK.
ok?
ok?
For those of you who don't know, I live, as it were, for these moments. The twinkle, the smile, the satisfied grin. The knowing that I pleased them, that I understood their wishes, that I pulled their dream out of their heads and put it in fabric.
I call it my reward. Being paid is nice, but making somebody's day, well, that's so very sweet.
We are in the happiness business, Mickey Mouse and I.
I did get a smile, the one I caught with my camera.
I'll cherish it.
p.s. the fabric store still hasn't called.

6 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger Gramma said...

Breathe a sigh of relief...the job is done...client took it away. Tomorrow, breathe another sigh as you and Bobby make your Saturday trip to the bank...'nuff said.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger The Chatty Housewife said...

What interesting fabric! I picture the dress on the pattern in black or forest green, so the fabric is a surprise for the style.

 
At 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it for prom?

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Glenda Conner said...

WOW good work K! And YIPEE for NICE customers!

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger SAJ said...

What a crazy whacky dress! All she needs now is a parasol and maybe a rave to go to or something. Just kidding around. I think it's very pretty.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

How could she not be pleased? It's beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home