Saturday, December 01, 2007

Dr Zhivago Dress; Part Two

So far I'm failing at trying to find a full front shot photo of the suit. The movie star was Geraldine Chaplin, Charlie Chaplin's daughter, and even though she wasn't one of the two main characters, her character Tonya's clothes were better, I think. More stylish.
Please look here for a studio picture, the best I could find.
Here's another attempt at guessing how a dress is made. This client has always loved the movie Dr Zhivago and especially the train station scene and the suit that Mrs. Tonya Zhivago wore when she returned to St. Petersburg.
My client lent me the double-box video (gasp), forwarded to the particular scene (thank you!) so I could get a good idea of what to do.
Heidi is especially tiny, maybe 100lbs, and that makes it easier.

PLUS, I get to see her as often as I want as she works at the local hospital as a recovery room nurse. Her husband, Russ, was my financial advisor until he retired last year.
We tried to imitate the look as closely as we could. I made the dress out of a soft pink, patterned velour, as close to wool worsted as we dared in Southern California!
The collar and muff were both made from a taupe Poodle Fleece.
The Cossack Hat was bought on eBay at The Winter Palace . A really nice eBay store that has lots of other neat Soviet stuff too, like KGB hats.
Neato.
She and her husband went touring in Russia this last Summer. As he doesn't know he's buying this outfit for her yet, she surreptitiously shopped for ankle boots and a fur hat while there. Not a thing. Duh, it was August in Russia, too.

The gloves, well, I needed to dye them to match.
I started with a plain white pair I'd picked up at Claire's.
Since I was attempting to match the taupe muff color, I started with coffee.
Too brown and too pale. Then I added a bit of liquid black dye.
Too gray.
I finished it off with strong tea.
Just right.
When they dried it was a perfect match.
I just hope the orange pekoe scent fades soon.
She loved them.

This past Thursday she came especially for a photo shoot.

Hubby was taking her out to supper, so she dressed in the whole get-up to surpise him.
He was so pleased he called me yesterday to thank me for making her (and him) so happy. He was delighted and very surprised. Yay!
This is the best part of my job.

2 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Gramma said...

Never a dull moment...nor do you ever know what the next challenge will be. I remember the blonde who came to be fitted, properly draped in blue satin, while sitting on her side-saddle.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

What a fun job you have! Me? I put beads on the shelf (today, anyway.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home