Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I think I sold it, finally!

The story ends with a fizzle.
I listed this dress on eBay about one month ago and it didn't sell. Bummer. Then I was contacted by an ebay-er on my personal e-mail. She's interested, cost-conscious, and ready to buy. We just have to negotiate a price. She gives 'Titanic Presentations', whatever that means, and would love to wear my suit while at work. Hooray!
The beginning of the story is much more romantic.
Incredibly romantic, mind you. Husbands like this don't come around that often. I know, I know, he probably has warts, gambles, has bad breath, and poor eyesight. That didn't matter to me, what he did was rare.
About ten years ago, right around Spring of 1998, a man called me up at work and asked me if I could help him with a surprise for his wife. Their fifth anniversary was coming up and as she LOVED the 'Titanic' movie that had been released the previous Fall, he'd like to make her her favorite outfit for her to wear on their special day. He had it all planned; he bought the big hat, the shoes, I would make this dress, and then they would go have supper on the Queen Mary.
We had six months. He snuck clothes out of her closet so I could measure them. He said that she was trying to lose some weight, so we made the dress her target size. He brought me her collector books, her video, her magazine pages. She was obsessed with the film, a real cult follower. I think she'd seen the film six or seven times already. This was her favorite of all Kate Winslet's outfits.
We worked on this together for four months and then came the moment when I really needed to fit her to finish the suit. How we planned this surprise! I was so excited, pleased with the result, happy for him.
Well. It didn't work out so well. I guess you could say that she was wondering how much money he'd spent. I guess she was frustrated that it was still a little tight. I guess she isn't really into surprises. Whatever. I wanted to slap her.
She grimaced and she grumbled. She put on a 'happy face'. He'd gone to all of this trouble, enjoyed the journey, anticipated her delight, only to have it fall flat.
What an ungrateful grouch. After they'd left, he called. He apologized for the situation.
Toward the nearing of the anniversary day I got a phone call. Um, she's pregnant again. Gestational diabetes. Doctor wants her to eat healthy so, no more diet. He thanked me for my time and would walk away from the dress. I think she didn't want it around to remind her of what a thoughtless jerk her hubby was.
In the end it wasn't a loss for me. I was paid in full. The anniversary came and went. The dress hung in my shop collecting dust.

7 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Such a sad story! What a great husband. I wonder if they're still married? He really deserves better. I hope she changed.

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, some more. It is a sad story. I hope this didn't squash his romantic spirit..

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger The Chatty Housewife said...

How sad! Women need to learn to appreciate men more often, especially when they do things like this. How ungrateful. I am glad someone is interested in the dress and it will be nice if she is able to buy it and it is put to good use after all. It is a beautiful dress and it looks like you put a lot of hard work into it!!!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Jailgy said...

I'm glad I didn't fit the dress for modeling seeing as it is now on the world wide internet. Your model did it better.

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

make sure you sell it through ebay. don't sell it on your own. that way both you and the buyer are covered. Also, send it either UPS or USPS with delivery confirmation. With the price as it is you need the package to be insured. UPS will insure the first 100 for no charge.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice dress! dumb lady :)

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Jailgy said...

Happy Birthday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home