Friday, May 25, 2007

One Last Prom Dress

I know, I know, enough already. I wanted you to see the last one, anyway.
Madison has come to me several times in the past, for alterations and for the (in)famous 'Mini Beauty and the Beast' dress.
This is her Senior Year and this is her dress.
She'd found one she liked on-line but, as is the nature of the business, all the site would tell her was where to go to buy the dress, not how much, (each store will have their own inflated price, apparently.) nor what sizes and colors.

I said I would give it a shot. As it often happens, after I agree to do the job, numerous 'incidentals' pop up, like; hot gluing rhinestones down the front, an anatomically impossible back 'drop' and more super-extra push-up padding. I still didn't get the back to be as low as she'd wanted. I tried to explain that the curve of the waist wrap couldn't go any lower and be still connected, aesthetically or physically, to the front. If I had made the front bodice longer, to her hips, maybe. The angle was almost impossible to bias drape as it was; the back piece was shaped like a fat 'S'. Add to that, fitting in an invisible zipper that didn't catch on the fabric was no picnic. The fish-tail is just a long bias tube that is stitched in the whole length of the back skirt seam and then gathered into the hip yoke and allowed to drape free.


Sometimes I have to start out with two simple questions;
"How is it going to stay up?"
"When can I talk to your Mom?"

7 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

You did a beautiful job but it's not something I would want my girls to wear! I guess it goes with the territory though. You make what they want and they come back. Beautiful material too.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger The Chatty Housewife said...

It is so beautiful! I loved those two questions at the end- very funny.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger familymclean said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it, it is so beautiful!!!
I want you to make me a dress! You know that one that Halle Berry wore in Die Another Day... http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0246460/Ss/0246460/D-994_012541.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0246460 ....so pretty!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Mary said...

The dress looks really good on her. It's very pretty. You did a great job! I keep forgetting to take a picture of the dress I made that you helped me with. But, it's all done and turned out very good.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger HotRodHanna said...

Very nice! There's always 'just one more thing' isn't there? You should set an age limit on dresses like that: under 18 -parent has to approve. :) Although...some parents now days wouldn't be much help.

I'm glad you'll be displaying my dresss, btw! It's quite an honor.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger ~*This Mama*~ said...

WOW! That is magnificent! WOW. WOW WOW WOW!

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my mom wants you to make me that dress to wear to WW conference. What do you think? It could be my birthday present :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home