Friday, April 20, 2007

Moving On

Years ago we went to a trade show for 'Starving Artists' at the Oakland Coliseum. I think we (mom) bought at least half a dozen very cheap, but beautiful and original paintings. One of my favorites is above the fireplace here at home. It's a landscape of a rustic shed/barn set in the California mountains. Mom has one in her bedroom that used to hang in our living room in San Leandro. It's a unique seascape done in deep pinks and olive greens.
This one was Chuggys. She says I can keep it and hang it in my new shop. I'm hoping to use it as my new color palette.

YES! I'm moving my business after 17 years.
The whole, sad and long story is that the new owners of the mall have raised my rent 60%, voided my three year lease (yes, that's illegal) and expect me to accept their terms by next week.
I am one of seven tenants who've made this choice.
After a season of bewilderment, panic, and despair,
then prayer, contemplation, consideration, and waiting on the Lord, I've decided it is time to move on. The more I weighed the pros/cons, the more I've wondered what took me so long. Nonetheless, if this is what the Lord needs to use to pry me out of a more and more unacceptable location, that's OK.
It's a little scary, a little exciting.
Granted, the original rent was dirt cheap (.56c PSF)and I could insist legally that my lease be honored, but why fight it? I can pay as much as they're asking and go somewhere where I'm on the ground floor and six feet from the parking lot! This will be easier for my 'senior' clients, whom I've decided to cater to as they don't need me to be open Saturdays.
I plan to move next weekend and, yes, I will blog a before-after.
Now I need to go wrap a shower present for Renee.

6 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger SAJ said...

I'm so excited! Can't wait to see the new digs.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger SAJ said...

Just sent you a moving day flier. Let me know if you don't get it. :)

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Makes sense to cater to the senior citizens since Hemet has so many of them. Sort of like "if you live in Surrey open up a curry store," or if you live in Richmond open up a chinese medicine store" or "if you live in Vancouver open up a souvenier or clothing or Canucks shop". You get my drift.

Can't wait to see your shop. "We want pictures!!!!"

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger HotRodHanna said...

Wow! Sounds like you've had a hard time of it lately, but congrats on new beginnings! I'll love to come and see it when I'm there in 2 weeks!! I'm sure your older clients will appreciate not having to fight with stairs or "broken" elevators. :)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger The Chatty Housewife said...

Oh it would be so much fun to design a place like that exactly how I wanted it. I love organizing things. Definitely show us "after" photos. :)

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomorrow is the big BIG moving day. John, John, John, Bill and Tommy Thompsen (with his trailer) have all volunteered. Too bad KJF and CJMc will be busy with the parade. They use this opportunity to pass out tracts every year.

Cupcake will take down the sign and build an apparatus to hold it on the ledge above the window at the new place. It seems there's some kind of stipulation that we're not to fasten into the stucco.

Rapunzel is coming soon to help me make sticky buns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home