Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Most Frustrating Part of My Job.


It never fails...even after all these years.
I love my work. I love going to my little shop every day. I really love my clients, mostly anyway.
What I don't love is that I've lost my Crystal Ball.
I can't always tell how much time a particular job will take so since I do my work/jobs in order, I think that's as fair as I can make it. This means; first in - first out, no excuses.
BUT
Every once in a while I have one job that takes me a few days. This means everybody else in line waits until it's done.
My point today is, this is a picture of one of those jobs. The bill is $300.00. Does she come to get it? No. Does she respond to my two phone messages? No.
It sits here in my front room, in the way. (totally disrupting my feng shui, I'm sure.)
For two weeks.
What does happen is that other clients come in to get their things and their things are NOT DONE because I was working on this instead! grrr. I stand there excusing and apologizing. And not a little embarrassed.
And it all sits there mocking me.
99% of the time these things do resolve themselves. People eventually come. The exception being when I'm told (after the fact) that "The cost wasn't worth the price of the garment." (read: I'm never going to come get my jacket.) Be that as it may, you ordered the work. If it is important to you, it's worth the cost of altering. I'll say that up front when the actual labor $$ to invest in altering is greater than the original cost of the garment. Sometimes it just is and that's not a bad thing. Sometimes the store had only the wrong size, it goes with a skirt, or it was on the clearance rack at a ridiculous price anyway.

So I chalk it up to the nature of the beast and count my blessings.

And make certain I get a phone number.

4 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Blogger SAJ said...

If I get that "flakey" feeling... I ask for half up front. But it's hard to tell. Again, you'd need a crystal ball.

Love you Auntie. Sorry stuff like this happens when you work so hard.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Gramma said...

The floor cushions really look quiate nice. I hope Chuggy's look only half that nice.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Those cushions are so pretty! Their loss if they don't come and pick them up. Sell 'em....to me.

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Jailgy said...

Hmmm, reminds me to get to those piles. I haven't forgotten.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home