Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Thirteen Hour Drive

I remember now, I think I'd purposely forgotten. At least the gruelling, hot, boring, part. We'd left Lassen Pines at 8:00am, so I could get a head start, knowing that several Hemet headed cars would be behind me. We, Dixet and I, stopped at Jack-in-the-Box in Red Bluff an hour later for breakfast. I'll not go there again...forty minutes later we left with two Breakfast Jack Combos, a Ciabatta Combo, AND my money back. Please don't mess with me in the morning. The only counter person in the store served ten drive-up customers before taking our order and we stood and watched at least a dozen walk-in folks turn around and leave. Manager says she wasn't aware there was a back up. Wonder if she ever looked up "Manager" in the dictionary. Over to Starbuck's to calm me down, picked up a large bag of choc-covered-beans, too. Already had(4)Monster on ice on the floor of the front seat.
I was so prepared.
I drank Monster.
I took a nap at Westly.
I got as far as Stockton.
I started alternating between Mr. and Mrs. Brocolli's cell phones.
My reflexes were ridiculous. Like a slo-mo play back.
"Help. Is anybody there? Monster isn't working. Starbuck's isn't working. Beans isn't working. Agatha Christie isn't working. I need another driver. Soon"
Mrs. called by Kettleman city. Thankyou thankyou. Drove my car as far as Hesperia, got my second wind and made it home.

6 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Glad you're home. I could hardly make a three hour trip to Seattle and then back by myself without having to stop for coffee and to stretch my legs and move some O2. It gets monotonous and then your reflexes get bad, real bad. BTW that was when I took you to the airport.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Jailgy said...

Chomping on ice cubes helps me with driving fatigue. Also, try drinking a pint of water and NOT using the facilities. Can't relax if you have to go!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

LK said she would comment if you would allow her to. She doesn't have a blog so can't say her say as anonymous. (Maybe she should get a blog?)

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Kedge said...

Why can't I allow it? can't she comment as annonymous?

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Kedge said...

There, I fixed it. All by myself I might add. Techno phobe, smeckno phope!

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. Only took me 9 hours. I left at 10:30 am and arrived in LA at 7:30 pm. I dropped of Lety, Lizette and Nicole downtown and went back to SH wait for the luggage in the van to arrive at 10 pm. The secret was that we didn't stop except for gas and drive through food (3 stops in all).

The others have their blog set so that Anonymous entries have to type the letters in a picture. This stops "spam" blog entries created by machines. See if there is an option for that, and turn it on.

BG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home