Saturday, July 22, 2006

High Tech Mom

I got a phone call at work yesterday afternoon. Mind you, this is TO the techno phobe after all, and if you tell me that what we did is damaging or stupid, at least it worked.
"I can't get anything but the 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' page."
"Try the Refresh Button."
"All I get is an 'Internet Connection Lost' and now only a blue screen. Nothing works, none of the keys respond."
"Maybe the Internet Connection fell off. It's hot. It's afternoon. Maybe there is a power surge or brown-out, anything might have happened. It's not your fault. Go to the Router Box behind the potted plant. Reach behind the antennae and switch off the power. Wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on. Wait until the lights are all green. (Snickers showed me that one)"
"OK. I did that. Still nothing but a useless blue screen."
"Press CONTROL/ALT/DELETE simultaneously."
This had worked in the past, gotten her to a reboot screen. Sometimes we just get a freeze. Often a bunch of Caution Prompts which made her nervous, they are so catastophic sounding.
"No. No change."
"Press and hold the round button of the mainframe/CPU/Big box thingy until you hear the motor turn off."
"I'll call you back. This isn't worth it. I might try again, later this afternoon."
Half an hour later...
"I'm on line and e-mailing!"
"Good! Now you know what to do." (whew)
I'm so proud of her, my ever learning, ever willing mom. (She'll be 80 in September.)

2 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Computers can be difficult, can't they? They're much like an erring child that refuses to learn the lesson being taught over and over again. Don't give up.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Jailgy said...

The problem with computers is that there are so many ways of doing the same thing so one just gets confused. You really can't hurt anything by just trying everything you know (unless that includes the word 'format').

 

Post a Comment

<< Home