Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Five Second Scream

About 2:00am this morning I was abruptly awakened by a long and terrified scream. It sounded like she was being seriously hurt. This is not the first time, and with the weather being so warm, it's almost predictable. I think we all dream more vividly or more stressfully when we're hot and trying to sleep. I raced into her room and found her sitting up in bed.
"Are you OK?"
"I'm sorry, did I wake you?"
"It's OK. You were dreaming. What did you see?"
"A man. Two men, Standing over there."
"No-one is there now. I think you're too hot, too many covers."
I took her quilt off and left just the sheet. I turned the A/C cooler, down to 78. We usually let it get warmer during the night, instead using room fans, trying to keep the cost down.
It just might be more important to sleep, than to have a low electric bill. In reality, the cost hasn't been too bad so far. We're on a level-pay plan that spreads the $$ amount evenly throughout the year, on an energy-saver cycle that periodically shuts off the unit for a few minutes(we don't notice)during peak usage hours, and on a low-income pricing scale.
We can't open windows until the morning, let alone leave them open all night. We've had peepers, wanderers, assorted riff-raff...it's just not safe.
"I will lay me down to sleep and peace, for Thou alone makest me to dwell in safety"

4 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger SAJ said...

Yikes! Poor Grandma! Poor you! I say turn down the thermostat and I'll pitch in a few bucks for the bill. You and Grandma need your rest!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

Uh, oh. Sounds like she does what I do when I get too hot at nite. Only I use to see Osama bin Laden! Yes, take off those blankets and turn the AC up, up, up. (I can help subsidize, too).

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger knitterykate said...

PS That's one of my favorite verses for night fears. Ps 4:8

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger HotRodHanna said...

I am a strong advocate of splurging for the sake of sleep!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home